Employee Satisfaction. Why does it matter?
When talking with small business owners the conversation will eventually turn to employee satisfaction and why its important. Before getting into why it matters, lets review what it is and isn’t.
Employee satisfaction is NOT -
- giving employees what they want
- making them smile everyday
- paying them a high salary
- letting them do what they want
- letting them take two hour lunches
So then, what IS it:
- Listening to employee ideas & concerns
- Treating them with respect
- Setting up expectations
- Follow through on expectations
- Making sure they have the tools they need to do their work
- Providing extra training where necessary
I realize this sounds simple and it theory it should be. What makes it difficult? The priorities and fast pace of the day, basically we get caught up in what he have to do.
Well, I still haven’t answered the question – Why does it matter? Believe it or not the answer to the question is simple – PRODUCTIVITY. Yes, it has been proven many times that satisfied employees are more productive employees. Doesn’t every business want that. Again – Yes.
So think about what you can do each day to improve employee satisfaction. Have a great tip – share it here!